Oct 3, 2019
Traditionally, when most couples think about couples counselling, they probably immediately think of a therapy room, sat face-to-face with a counsellor. This image can often deter couples from seeking the support of a counsellor and accessing the guidance that they need because they are uncomfortable with the concept of sharing their most intimate details with a 'stranger'.
As technology has advanced there is now an alternative option - online couples counselling. How does this work, I hear you say?
Couples can engage with a qualified online counsellor whilst sat in the comfort of their own homes. As a couple, you can choose a counsellor by making contact with them through their website and make an informed decision as to who you would feel the most comfortable working with.
Sessions are carried out whilst you are in a comfortable private space in your own home, using an approved and safe platform such as Zoom or Vsee. You create the environment that you want and that makes you feel the most connected to your partner. Maybe surrounding yourselves with mementoes or cushions, or being able to sit in your favourite chair is the most productive environment for you both. It's about finding what works for you.
What are the benefits of couples counselling online?
There are so many benefits to working with a couples counsellor online. Below are just a few:
- Your home provides a safe and comfortable space to discuss the issues that you have both been avoiding
- It enables you both to re-establish your relationship and re-identify with the reasons you were initially attracted to each other
- It enables you to identify the relationship and individual strengths and weaknesses and how you can work together to maintain a happier and stronger relationship
- You are supported to reframe the relationship to provide a more secure base when moving forward
- Support is provided by an unbiased and non-judgemental counsellor who can provide an objective perspective of the relationship.
Online couples counselling also means interaction with your counsellor is at your convenience and at a time that suits you both, which is particularly effective if your relationship is a long-distance one. It can be difficult to schedule in couples counselling when one of you frequently travels, but online counselling is an excellent option to bridge the distance and help maintain regular therapeutic sessions.